Do I do “The Do?”
To anyone who hasn’t been a bridesmaid before, the topic of this post may make you laugh. But, I have seen it a million times. The bride sends out the standard email:
“Hey bridesmaids! If you want to get your hair and makeup done before the wedding, we will have someone there to do it. It costs $45 for makeup and $65 for hair! It’s totally up to you – just let me know…”
You know the drill.
So, what do you do? (Well, first you should read this hilarious true story.)
If you’re anything like me… first, you panic. I don’t know! I always do my own hair! And I’m honestly not much of a heavy makeup person. I do my little bit of “going out eye makeup” and some lipstick and I’m good to go! Will I look weird with a painted makeupy face?
Then, I start thinking about what the other bridesmaids are doing. Are they all getting their hair done? Will I be the one bridesmaid who clearly has un-done hair? Will I stand out as a slacker in the photos?
Last time I had my hair done for a wedding, I wrote the $75 check to the hair stylist, got up from the chair, and then promptly went into the bridal suite bathroom and cried hysterically (but quietly so the bride wouldn’t hear) to another bridesmaid who calmed me down and got to work re-doing the do.
And it goes on and on…
Well – here is my opinion: If you don’t do what all the other girls are doing – you will not be the odd-man-out or the ugly-duckling. It’s ok to say no! In fact, I was at a wedding recently and the two girls who did their own hair had the best bridesmaid-dos! Don’t make that the deciding factor. (I mean if all the bridesmaids were going to jump off a bridge…) Also, this is your money here. If you’re paying for how you look – you want to like the way you look. Of course – sometimes it’s the bride’s say and you’re “required” to get your head and face worked on before the wedding. In that situation, just be prepared.
Hair – Getting it done? Be Prepared.
- If you’re getting it done, have some ideas of what you want – before you go in. Bring photos and be specific. Last time I had my hair done, I gave the worst description ever and in classic laid-back-me-style, I said “I’m sure you know what’s best” and then I cried when I didn’t get the results I wanted. Be prepared. It pays off.
Do it yourself.
- I honestly tend to like my hair best when I do it myself! If you’re going that way – but still want to do something special or a little out of the ordinary, look up some options on Youtube. I found this tutorial and have done this for 3 weddings so far and counting! Super easy.
- In general, finding a special flower or pretty hair clip goes a long way to dress something up and take you away from your “everyday” look to a wedding look.
A lot of the time, girls don’t like the makeup job because the makeup artist doesn’t KNOW you. They don’t know your style, your deal, your personality, how you “normally” look. The best makeup jobs I’ve had were:
- I had another bridesmaid do my makeup. She generally is more makeup savvy than I am and did a beautiful job on this face! She also knows my personality and how I usually do myself, so she knew what to highlight for a special occasion, but not to get all crazy on me.
- At one wedding, the bride had her sister take a makeup lesson before the wedding. Then, on the day of – she did all of our makeup (for free) and did an amazing job!
Liking the way you look and feeling confident and pretty goes a long way in making you have a fun time on any day – especially at a special occasion. As much as you may not be able to choose your dress or your shoes, at least you can be in some control of that beautiful hair and face of yours… and liking the way you look.
And no one wants to be the crying bridesmaid in the bathroom.